History

The earliest records of golf in Tatura are of a four hole course on land described as "Vacant Ground at the rear of the Gardens" in the year 1909.

Later that year the first "Club" was formed with "Hogan's Paddock" as it's home ground, with fees of 5/- for gentlemen and 2/6 for ladies. In 1913 the Club transferred to the racecourse where it continued to operate and grow from the original nine to an eighteen hole course in 1949.

Early photograph of Tatura Golf Club (1940)

A meeting of members was held in September 1963 with a view to purchasing their own freehold and constructing a Golf course.

The sole assets at the time were approximately 1,000 pounds, a small block of land with an old Club House, a tractor and a three gang mower. This meeting collapsed as it was deemed the financial position of the Club made the idea impracticable.

A short time later a property of 137 acres, called Hill Top, on the northern boundary of the town, owned by the estate of Mr. Stuart Ross became available. It was undulating, high class land, ideally suited for a golf course with a well situated brick home which could be converted into a Club House.

To this end a special meeting was called late in 1963, chaired by Mr. P. O'Toole, when 15,000 pounds was promised in debentures, interest free for two years.

This really signalled the birth of Hill Top.

Architects, Peter Doyle & Associates were engaged to convert Hill Top residence into a Club House, and Peter Davis, son of John Davis, former Captain designed the Hill Top logo.

Golf architects Eric Horne and Horrie Brown submitted a plan and were retained.

The purchase of the property and construction of the course cost approximately 55,000 pounds.

In just over a year a first class course was ready and in good condition for play.Much of the work was carried out by enthusiastic working bees. During this time Tom O'Brien was busy propagating a large variety of trees from seeds, a majority of the trees now on the course were grown and nurtured by Tom.

In just over a year a first class 18 hole grass green course of 6660 yards, par 73 was ready and in good condition for play. The official opening occurred on 10th April, 1965 by the Hon. John McEwen.

Surveyors were engaged to subdivide building blocks from the perimeter, these were subsequently sold which put the Club in the sound financial position it is today.

A Bowling Green was added in 1965, again with voluntary labour at very little expense to the Club. Today the Club boasts two excellent greens: "The Dick Trevaskis Green" and "The Lance Cross Green", which we believe are the best in the valley - the grass being South African Couch.

In 1994 the Club made the decision to install 20 Tabaret gaming machines and engage the services of a caterer, the opening being held in December 1994. Since that time the Club has not looked back. In July 1999 the Club made the decision to make extensive alterations to the Clubhouse by building a new dining room with a capacity of over 150 diners, kitchen, foyer and dining amenities. These modern facilities will service the Club well into the twenty first century.